This week, the Board voted unanimously to name the new elementary school near Timber Ridge Meadow Ridge Elementary School. The school is funded by the bond that was approved by voters in 2017. It will be completed by the start of school in fall 2019.
The name was among the suggestions submitted through a community-based naming process. Meadow Ridge was the first choice for the following reasons:
- The committee felt it important to keep with the Ridge theme to tie the new school to both Clover Ridge and Timber Ridge.
- The committee felt that Clover, Meadow, and Timber had a good flow to the names.
- Meadow Ridge tied for the most submissions from the public at 12. (Knox Butte Elementary also received 12 submissions. However, Knox Butte Elementary School was an elementary prior to unification of Greater Albany Public Schools.)
- Meadow Ridge was one of the top recommendations when the name for Timber Ridge was being decided.
- The committee noted that the new school will be built in the middle of existing, lovely meadows.
- Meadow Ridge symbolizes: Walking through pleasant meadows portends happiness. To dream of a meadow symbolizes acceptance and protection.
Read the report
The groundbreaking ceremony for Meadow Ridge Elementary School is April 25 at 10 a.m.